Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2011

My first week of school

This week was not only a week of transition for me, but for my entire family. My brother and I both spent our week attending our first public schools as freshmen. My parents and Justin made this decision the Sunday prior to the first day of school. This was my first time to go days without seeing my family when we were in the same town. Growing up homeschooled Justin and I were together all the time. Although the separation was difficult; knowing I could not see my brother anytime I wanted was even harder. Cameron was a great choice to keep me close to home.

I came to campus on Sunday for my contract signing at the student union. Following contract signing I headed over to the pep rally with Tyler and we met my friend Mike. At the rally I received my third “free” Cameron T-shirt. Afterwards we headed to the MCC for smoothies and ice cream. I then went to my dorm, skyped with some friends, and went to bed.

On Monday, I woke up and arrived at my 8 o’clock class way too early. In Sociology and Psychology we went over the syllabus and each professor lectured briefly. In my Composition 1 class, my professor lectured and our class wrote about our favorite food. That night I went to Zumba at the fitness center and was pleasantly surprised to see many of my friends there.

            Tuesday was my music day. My day began with American Pop Music and ended with Music Appreciation. I really enjoy both classes because of my background in music. My Introduction to University Life is sandwiched between the two and is my favorite because I know everyone in there and it is much more relaxed. After Tyler got off work we headed to the MCC for a snack.

On Wednesday I had free pizza at the Union between my classes. After class I went with a friend and she took me home. I was excited to have a home-cooked meal and that night we had Mexican. That night we kicked off our children’s program at church I had several bags of cotton candy. After that I came back to my dorm and watched TV.

Thursday was my adventure night. Tyler, Hannah Lynn, and I kicked off the night with Starbucks. Once we were all sugared up we picked up take out. We went to Tyler’s dorm and watched a Frank Sinatra movie with a terrible ending and once the movie was over we realized that we were not going to get that time back. Afterwards we made a late night Wal-Mart run for Ben & Jerry’s ice cream. Hannah Lynn stayed the night and we watched TV until about two.

The most important aspect of my first week of college was the people I got to know and hang out with around campus. I had my friends from growing up in Lawton and I enjoy getting to see them on a daily basis. Having the PLUS scholarship has also afforded me the opportunity to know people that I may have not met otherwise. My church family had also made up a large portion of my friends and I love having their support. I have heard all my life that the friends you have in college are your friends for life and I am excited about what is going to happen for me in the next four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment